Saturday, August 5, 2017

A New Story: Will You Please Grant It


In order not to arouse suspicions, Marcus decided to take his time in proposing marriage.  He made small inquiries into Julie’s family life and her parents.  He also suggested they make visits to them.  In the process, he made mention of a life together.  Each time he made the reference, Julie beamed.  She knew in her heart she wanted to share her life with Marcus. 
 
During the third weekend visit with Julie’s parents, Marcus decided to ask Julie’s father, Bill, for his permission to marry Julie.  A couple hours before they were due to return, he asked Bill for assistance with a problem on the car.  Bill agreed to take a look and the two men walked out to the car.  Marcus was certain Julie wouldn’t want to join them or suspect anything.  He was correct on both counts. 
 
When they reached the car, Marcus opened the trunk and stood fixed in place for a moment.  Bill looked into the trunk and, seeing nothing out of the ordinary, asked, “What’s the problem, Marcus?”
 
Suddenly, the gravity of the question he was about ask, the path that would forever change his life, hit Marcus.  He started, “Well, sir.”
 
“Marcus, you know to call me Bill.”
 
“Yes, sir, Bill.”
 
Bill was completely bewildered at this point.  What was wrong with the car?  Shouldn’t they be looking at the engine?  What’s up with Marcus?  Finally, Marcus remembered and knew he loved Julie.  This gave him confidence to say, “Bill, I love your daughter.  Nothing could make me happier than spending the rest of my life with her but I want your permission to take her hand in marriage.  Will you please grant it?”
 
Bill was surprised by the request but knew his answer.  Instead of giving a direct answer, he decided to have a little fun.  Bill began asking questions about how he handles money, his political affiliations and if Marcus was aware “for better, for worse” means thing can get quite bad.  Bill could see anxiety building in Marcus’s eyes and decided to let him off the hook.  Finally, he said, “Marcus, young man, I am happy to call you my son-in-law.  You have my permission.”
 
Sweet relief flooded in and Marcus smiled.  He said, “Thank you, Bill.  Now, please don’t say anything just yet to Julie.  Tell anyone you trust, just not Julie.  I have something special planned and I’ll let you know when the time comes.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...