Monday, April 24, 2017

Childhood Memories

I was chatting with a friend recently and mentioned some childhood memories. I decided to share them.  Of course, you will be thrilled to know this about me.

I first realized death would one day be a reality for me when I was 3 or 4 years old.  I can’t say why I thought this but I distinctly remember picturing a skeleton and understanding that would be me one day.  I was very afraid and cried.  I remember one of my parents comforting me but not much else.

I think I was about the same age but may be a little bit younger for this next memory.  I was in the tub one night.  Mom finished her job of scrubbing off 10 layers of skin and was letting me play for a bit.  As long as she heard water splashing she knew I was ok.  If I stopped for a bit, she would call my name, “Duane?”  When I answered, “What?” she would respond, “Just checking.” I must have just learned about God at church but I knew there was someone in the sky that could see me all the time.  I recall thinking about God looking at me in the tub.  I took a wash cloth and covered myself so God couldn’t see me naked.

My brother and sister helped me learn to ride a bicycle.  I originally had training wheels but I wanted to learn how to ride a two wheel bike.  They would give me a big push down the street and I would pedal away. I loved it.  That is, until one time when this parked car got in the way.  I guess I forgot how to steer or brake and crashed right into the back of it. 

A few months to a year later, some friends were playing in front of my house.  My dad used to park his truck on the street in front of the house.  I was riding my bike back and forth as fast as I could.  I was coming back toward the house and was going by my dad’s pickup.  A friend darted out and I hit her.  I catapulted off the bike and hit the ground with a very solid thud.  I hit my head pretty hard and had a nasty scrape on my hand.  I looked at the friend I hit and she was crying.  Then I realized my injuries and started crying also.  She walked home and I went into the house.  Later, I complained about seeing lightning flashing across my vision.  Mom called the doctor about this.  I don’t remember what was said but I never went to the hospital or doctor so I must have been ok.  Then again, those bumps on my head probably explain a lot about me now. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...