Saturday, April 22, 2017

The Blind Beggar: Part XXX


Boulos sat looking at the screen on his iPad.  Why did Amal return to him?  He wasn’t convinced the Jo March writing the blog was Amal.  Still, she returned to him more in the last few years than since the day she was married.  Why now?  What should he do?
The answer was to “contact her you idiot.”  Fine, but what should he say?  He couldn’t just write to someone and ask, “Hey, is your name Amal?  If so, I think I know you.”  In his soul, Boulos knew Jo March was Amal and the thought made his entire body tingle.  Then again, he once was blind and just knew he would never see again.  Yet, he has read a blog written by someone he believes to be his childhood love.  Could this be another miracle? 
Boulos began typing.  After completing a sentence, he paused a brief moment and then backspaced through it.  Why was this so hard?  Just make a comment and go from there.  Yes, that was the approach to take.  Again, he typed.
The next day while Amal waited for coffee to finish, she turned on her computer and went through comments and messages.  She read a nice one from a new reader.  It read, “Dear Jo March, I like what you wrote on your profile page that you want to share your love for sunsets.  I have always loved sunsets.  To me they are god’s most beautiful creation.  I look forward to reading more of your blog.”
Amal replied, “Thank you, sir.  Have you read my sunsets from last month?  They are some of my favorites?”
With nearly 14,000 followers, Amal regularly corresponded with people who read her blog.  She also had requirements to repeatedly do in order to receive compensation for her work.  The blog was a time consuming endeavor.  While Boulos felt elation with his interaction with the Jo March, on this day Amal felt nothing other than the need to cross another item from her list.  
Later that night, she received this reply from the new reader: ”I have looked through your blog but haven’t read any of them yet.  I will read them.”
“Thank you sir. :) I appreciate feedback :)”
Twenty three minutes later a response was sent. “I read some of your sunsets from last month.  They are rich colourful and descriptive.  They make me praise god.  Thank you very much.”
Amal wrote back, “Thank you for reading and for feedback :)  I found myself in describing sunsets.  I also like to add a bit of a poetic touch.  I guess that shows.  .”
Boulos felt Jo March was a very kind person; another similarity with Amal.  There was a warmth about her that encompassed him like a soft, loving embrace.  While reading her words, he heard Amal’s voice.  Boulos closed his eyes and let the emotions flow.  A thrill washed over him and he had to smile.  Oh what joy! 
Boulos felt a need, a desire to send one more reply to Jo March.  Yet a conflict suddenly arose.  Amal was married.  As the thought began, Boulos felt energy deflate him.  He could never interfere in the relationship of another.  Also, now that he gave his life to Jesus, to break up a marriage for selfish gain seemed the ultimate betrayal.  But he wasn’t even sure Jo March was Amal.  A dark bitter anguish hit forcefully. 
Boulos put the iPad on the desk and got up.  Placing his hands on his head, he looked up to the ceiling and audibly exhaled.  As much as he wanted to take the next step and ask Jo March if she was Amal, Boulos couldn’t do it.  If a relationship with her wasn’t right before, why was now any different? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...