Saturday, April 29, 2017

The Blind Beggar: Part XXXIII


That Ali could have asked the question never entered Amal’s mind.  Of course, she was curious to know who it was.  Amal replied, “Yes, it is.  How did you know?”
Reading the reply Boulos jumped from his chair and hurriedly walked around the room.  He said aloud, “Oh my God, oh my God.  Hold on a second, Boulos.  You don’t know if she is your Amal.  For all you know, she isn’t really a female.  She just said that to better protect her or his identity.”  He shook his head to clear confusing thoughts rushing in.
Returning to his chair, Boulos held his hands above the iPad trying to decide what to write next.  He had knocked on a door in his life and it opened.  It was a big door that opened.  His senses were heightened.  He closed his eyes for a moment to take in his surroundings.  He heard traffic outside the window.  There were footfalls going down the hallway outside his door.  Then he realized the smile on his face and each breath he took.  It was his Amal.  It had to be her. 
It was time to knock on another door.  What should he say?  He wasn’t yet comfortable giving away his identity.  He had to ask another question to confirm her identity while saving his.  What could it be?
His fingers wiggled above the iPad.  He shook them back and forth while considering so many options.  Then it hit him.  It was a question that was to the point but appeared to come from an outsider.  He typed, “I think I know you.  Did you know a boy who was going blind before you were married?”
He was sure it was the perfect question.  If it wasn’t his Amal, he could simply apologize and life would go on.  If it was his Amal, he could tell her who he was.  But should he do so?  Amal was married.  He thought back to the brief moments when they saw one another.  Was there anything about her demeanor that said she didn’t want to be with him?
No, he mustn’t think that way.  She was married.  He could not be a good Christian and interfere with any marriage.  He couldn’t be a decent person, regardless of beliefs, and interfere.  He prayed, “God, you have opened a door and I thank you.  Please help me to know the way.  You know I don’t want to cause trouble but you also know my heart.  Amal has meant the world to me my whole life.  Is there a way Amal and I can be friends?”
Then he knew the path he would take if Jo March was his Amal.  He added to his question, “If so, what was his name?”  Then he hit send. 
Boulos hoped for a quick reply.  It would be complete agony to have to wait until morning or even later for a response.  His mind repeated, “Please, God, please.”
Then a reply appeared.  Without hesitation Boulos clicked on it.  “Yes, I remember such a boy before I got married.  His name was Boulos.  Do you know him?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...