Friday, November 18, 2016

A New Story: Mom

Marcus looked at the display on his cell phone.  His mother was calling.  He answered, “Hi mom.  How are you?”

“Hi Marcus.  I am well and how is my favorite youngest son?”

“He is well too.”

“Did you eat breakfast this morning?”

“I always do, mom.”

“What’d you eat?”

Marcus sighed.  This happens every time, he thought.  “I had cereal, orange juice and a banana.”

“What kind of cereal?”

“Jeez, mom, you always do this.  I had raisin bran.”  He lied. It was Captain Crunch.

“I don’t want you to get sick.  If you eat right, you can fight off diseases.”

“I know, mom.  You always say that.”

“I know I pester you but I love you.  That’s how I show it.”

“Yes mom.”

“So what’s new with you?”

There was no way he was going to mention with Julie.  She would latch onto that topic and… He didn’t even want to think about it.  Instead, Marcus brought up the work he did on the supervisor’s presentation and how he found the error while under a deadline.  Topics switched to his dad’s health and his brother’s as a newlywed.  The call ended after 15 minutes.  While Marcus genuinely loved his mother, sometimes she smothered her family too much.  Consequently, both he and his brother were anxious to go to college and never moved back. 

He thought about Julie.  He was infatuated with getting to know her better.  It had been just over a year since Kathy broke off their relationship.  He was deeply hurt but now felt ready to be in a relationship again.  Marcus was beginning to understand that he put too much of himself into a relationship in the early stages.  Somehow, he needed to pull back a little. 

As he pondered who he believed Julie to be, he felt she had more substance than kathy.  He wouldn’t call Julie a beauty queen.  He felt her allure came from her soul.  He believed that was what made her different from his previous relationships.  Julie was a genuine person.  She was not fake.  She did not pretend to be someone other than who she was.  She was real.  Oh, to be with someone who was real. 
Marcus wanted to go on a real date with Julie.  He wanted to hold hands and snuggle and give her sweet kisses.  He closed his eyes and savored the idea.  He could picture himself stroking her hair, caressing her cheek.  He wanted to envelope her in his arms.  He wanted to hold her, protect her.  He opened his eyes.  He would make it happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...