Monday, November 28, 2016

A New Story: Amore Mio

Upon arriving at the restaurant, the lights were dimmed inside.  Julie asked, “Are they open?”  Marcus put the car in Park and said, “Let’s find out.”  They he exited the car and ran around to Julie’s side and opened her door.  He extended his hand as she swung her right leg out.  He said softly, “My lady.” 

“Dear sir.”

They went to the door and looked at the operating hours.  They were closed for 36 more minutes.  Julie looked at Marcus.  Had he been mistaken about the time?  Did he originally plan to spend more time at the park?  Marcus tried the door.  It was open.  They stepped inside.  An elderly gentleman approach and said in Italian, “I’m sorry but we are closed.” 

Marcus replied, “
Ho una prenotazione per due. Hughes” (I have a reservation, Hughes.)

“Oh si, si.  Proprio in questo modo.”  (Yes, yes.  This way.)


“Grazie.” (Thank you.)


Julie whispered, “I didn’t know you speak Italian.”


“Two years in college and a year of Latin in high school.  I remember the basics.”


They were seated at a table next to the fireplace which was quite warm.  Marcus offered the seat nearest the fire to Julie.  The man pulled the chair out for Julie then for Marcus.  Then he placed napkins on their laps.  Next, he brought menus and glasses of water and antipasto .  Marcus noticed the vase on the table had no flowers in it yet all the other tables had flowers in the vase.  He mentioned this to Julie.  She mused they simply must have been an oversight.  When the waiter returned, he spoke to the waiter in Italian gesturing to the empty vase and the other tables.  The man nodded and went to the kitchen. 


When he returned, he carried a single red rose.  Two other men walked behind him.  The first held a large bouquet of lilies and the next man held a violin.  The rose was placed into the vase on the table.  The next man gave the bouquet to Julie.  The violin began playing and the trio began to sing. 



Sapore di sale, sapore di mare
che hai sulla pelle, che hai sulle labbra
quando esci dall'acqua e ti vieni a sdraiare
vicino a me, vicino a me

The men stood at corners of the table and crooned looking straight ahead.  Each sung with passion as if he himself were trying to win Julie’s hand.  Both Marcus and Julie looked up from one man to the next.  Marcus then gazed at Julie.  She was smiling.  He didn’t fully understand the words but felt them falling like raindrops on a dry land.   Julie had no understanding of the words but something in her heart told her it was about love. 


Once the song was finished, Marcus stood and shook hands with each of the men.  Then to his friend, he said, “Aldo, man, that was great.  Thanks a lot.”  Staying in character, Aldo replied, “
E 'mio piacere, signore.” (My pleasure sir.)

With a laugh, Marcus said, “You can stop now, man.  I know you speak English.” 


By this time, the restaurant was officially open and patrons began filling the tables.  Aldo introduced himself to Julie.  Then he introduced his father and uncle.  He continued, “It is our pleasure to serve both of you today.  You sit back and relax.  We are going to take good care of you.” 


Each course was scrumptious.  Each bite, delectable.  By the 4th course, both Marcus and Julie were full.  Marcus asked Julie, “Have you ever heard of the comedian, John Pinette?” 


“No, why.”


“He does a comedy bit about an Italian restaurant he went to.  He says ‘You know how when you are full you loosen your belt?  Well, pants were down around my ankles.’”


Julie laughed heartily.  “I can relate to that thought.  I’m glad I don’t have pants on but you’ll need to wheel me to the car.”


As the evening finished and Marcus drove Julie to her apartment, he said, “If you aren’t too full or tired, there is something I’d like to recite to you when we get to your place.”


“Ok, that would be fine.  Just so you know my roommate will probably be there.”


Marcus hadn’t planned on going into the apartment.  That was too much to ask.  That Anna would be there was no problem.  He was happy to have a few more moments with Julie.  Once the moment came for him to recite poetry, Marcus suddenly felt awkward.  He could picture Anna laughing at him.  Then again, with Julie’s sense of humor, she may laugh too.  From memory, he haltingly began,


“When in your enjoyable presence

I am like a child
My actions are course and wild
You beauty lights the sky
Oh my goddess, my love
May I hold your hand, my dove?”

Then Marcus took Julie’s hand.  He continued:


“Dear beloved, oh beauty sweet

I give you my heart
All I ask is a start”

Then he said, “I know it sounds corny and I’m not the most romantic guy in the world.  I also know I’m no poet but, you mean the world to me.  I really want to have an exclusive relationship with you.” 


Julie started to reply when Anna said, “Excuse me.”  Then she went to her room and shut the door.  The couple laughed.  Then Julie said, “I would love to be in a serious relationship with you.”  The two touched noses.  Marcus looked intently into Julie’s eyes.  He felt a magnetism pulling his lips to hers but he fought the urge.  He caressed her cheek and stroked her hair.  Then he softly kissed her left cheek with small kisses, working his way to her ear.  He softly bit her ear lobe and Julie squirmed involuntarily.  He began to kiss her neck.  Julie could wait no longer.  She pulled away momentarily and then kissed him firmly, passionately on the lips.  In between kisses, Marcus repeatedly said, “Amore mio.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...