Sunday, November 27, 2016

A New Story: Make a Wish

The parking area held few cars.  Sunset was coming quickly.  Marcus parked the car in the same spot John parked his jeep the day they all hiked.  Julie asked, “Why are we here?”  I’m not dressed for a hike.  Neither are you.”
 
“Even though I knew I was interested in you when we met at work, it was hiking that day that I knew I really liked you.”  Marcus wanted to say “Love” but didn’t want to rush things.  He continued, “I love nature.  To me, few things are more romantic than the beauty of nature.  Since our relationship started here, I want to take the next step in our relationship here.”  His heart pounded.  He squeezed her hand and leaned in to kiss Julie.  She met him halfway.  Her lips felt ever so soft and sweet.  Then he added, “Let’s take a short walk.”  Then he quickly exited the car. 
 
Julie felt uneasy about this.  Neither was dressed appropriately for a stroll in the park.  Not this park anyway. Nevertheless, she relented and began to open the door when Marcus was opening it for her as he did when they left her apartment.  He was being quite the gentleman.  It made her feel a little uneasy.  No boyfriend of hers did this before.  Still, it made here feel special, cherished.  She decided to savor these feelings.  They walked hand in hand to a bench that overlooked the lake.  The breeze was cold and Marcus removed his coat and placed it on her shoulders.  He added, “Don’t worry, this won’t take long.”
 
They sat on the bench and Marcus put his arm around Julie, pulling her close.  He felt her shiver briefly and apologized saying, “I’m sorry.  I didn’t expect it to be this cold.  It won’t be much longer if you can hold on.  If not, we can go.”
 
“No, I’m ok.”
 
“I’ll just tell you.  When the first star appears, which should be Venus tonight, I want us both to make a wish.  I can’t promise where our relationship will go but in five years, if we are still together, I want us to share what we wished for.” 
 
“Okay.”
 
“I see this moment as one full of promise.  It’s an open door and the possibilities are endless.”
 
Julie heard him and the thought warmed her heart but she was intent on finding the first star.  Marcus was saying, “Possibilities are” when she exclaimed, “I see it!”
 
“Oh yeah, there it is.  Okay, make a wish but don’t tell me what it is.  That is for later.”
 
Both made wishes and Julie said, “Let’s get outta here.”
 
Once back in the car, Marcus apologized.  “I’m so sorry.  I was trying to create the perfect night.  Guess we coulda done this from the car.  I wasn’t thinking.  I’m really sorry.”
 
“It’s ok.  Once I warm up I’ll appreciate it more.  Besides, if we ever do get married, I’ll tell our kids you tried to freeze me to death to get me to say yes to your proposal.”
 
Marcus smiled, “I like your sense of humor.  He took her hands into his and kissed them softly, tenderly.  Then he softly breathed on them.  She appreciated the warm breath on her fingers.  “Don’t say I’m not trying to warm you up.” 
 
“Ok, I’m warming up.  What’s next?”
 
“Are you hungry?”
 
“You bet!  Where we going?”
 
“You like Italian?”
 
“I hate Italian.”
 
Marcus was stunned.  Who hated Italian food?  His mind raced.  What should he do?  Then Julie added, “Gotcha.”
 
“Oh, I’m gonna get you!”
 
“Let’s get outta here.  I’m starvin’.”
 
They discussed the restaurant where they would dine.  Julie had heard good things about it but never dined there before.  Marcus simply said, “I think we are in for a treat."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...