Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Magic Roundabout: Part VII



Peter found himself walking down a forest trail with Marie.  She had run ahead and was looking at something along side the trail.  The terrain was very hilly and he believed they must be in the Appalachians.  How did they get there?  He was focused on the trees around him when he realized that Marie was a girl and no longer a young woman.   How did that happen?  Where were they?  She was bent over looking at something.  He called to her, “Sweetie, come to daddy.  I don’t want you to get lost.”

Marie stood up from the other side of a tree and looked at her father.  She called out, “But daddy, mommy’s right here.”  Melissa peaked her head from the other side of the tree and said, “I’m right here, Pete.  We’re looking at a walking stick.”

Peter’s knee’s felt weak.  It was Melissa.  His wife was alive.  How was this possible?  He walked to her and stood there, gazing, while Melissa and Marie looked at the insect.  Melissa, who always loved “critters,” told Marie how the walking stick stays safe since predators have trouble recognizing it. 

After Melissa stood up Peter said, “Honey, I love you.”  He reached his arms around her and held her in a warm, loving embrace.  Melissa chuckled, “I love you, too.  Are you ok?”

Peter wondered if the last 18 years had been a dream.  Was this real?  Is this reality and everything he knew wasn’t?  He didn’t want to come across as strange to his wife so he replied, “No, I’m ok.  I’ve just been thinking and I realize what a happy and blessed man I am.  I am happy you decided to marry me.  You have made me so happy.  I am just grateful for my family.”

“You’ve done a great job raising our little girl.”

“Well, I couldn’t have done it without you.”

“What do you mean?  I died giving birth to Marie.  You did it all yourself.”

Peter felt as if he’d been punched in the stomach.  His mind whirled.  All he could say was a weak croak that sounded something like, “What?”

“I know you know what I’m talking about, Pete.  I died about 18 years ago when Marie was born.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...