Saturday, December 13, 2014

Do Not Arouse or Awaken Love Until it so Desires



Here is one thought about reading through the bible I forgot to mention yesterday.

In Song of Solomon, there is a phrase that is repeated at least 3 times in the 8 chapters of the book.  The phrase is this: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.

I have heard this before and never really thought much about it.  However, I did wonder if it was a command or suggestion or just something people said.  When reading Song of Solomon not too long ago, I was struck that the phrase is a command meant for protection. 

We are not to arouse or awaken sexual desire until we are able to handle it.  When I realized this, I couldn’t help but think about our society.  Sex is used to sell products.  Sex scenes are constantly on TV and in movies.  Kids nowadays are continually bombarded with sex.  To me, they are awakened and aroused before they are ready.  I don’t know how we can combat this other than, as parents, we are vigilant in what we allow our children to watch and be exposed to. 

Even as adults, we should not expose ourselves to things that are not healthy or promote sex in a healthy, godly manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...