Monday, December 29, 2014

Touch and Laughter



What is it about touch that affects us so much?  I remember my mom used to love to have her hair brushed.  I have a cousin that is about 10 years younger than me and she would brush my mom's hair from time to time.  Mom was like a cat getting all the right spots stroked.  

I'm sort of a touchy/feely person.  I love giving and receiving hugs.  I need more hugs though.  I'm finding more and more how touch calms my spirit and relaxes me.  If I focus on a single touch, I can feel it spread from that area to other parts of my body.  It's like a drop sending ripples across the water.  

I'm sure most of us have read or heard about the power of laughter.  It has been a couple years since the last time I had a good eye-tearing, stomach-straining laugh.  My cousin and I were talking about it last week.  Oddly enough, it was when our grandmother was dying.  She, my sister and I had a couple great laughs.  Then after the funeral, we were listening to a comedy channel.  We had some sore stomachs and tears of laughter.    

Touch and laughter have profound benefits for us.  I want to touch more and laugh more.  

1 comment:

  1. What a sad, but wonderful visit we had. Tears and laughter all mixed together. I will never forget Grandma's laugh and the great times sitting around her table; listening to her and her son's tell their stories. How very blessed I am for having those memories and being a part of the Phillips clan! Jacquie

    ReplyDelete

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...