Monday, May 1, 2017

The Blind Beggar: Part XXXV


If Boulos had a doubt before, this reply cemented everything.  This was his Amal.  A sweet euphoria filled him.  Smiling, he typed, “You call me Ali.”  Then he stopped.  What did he say to her in Mr. Daiwik’s apartment?
He thought back to that day.  As he had a few times before, Mr. Daiwik invited Boulos to their apartment to bathe and eat a meal with them.  Then Mr. Daiwik was called to go to one of the apartments for something that needed attention.  Shortly thereafter, Boulos heard an angelic voice.  Somehow, Amal was in the room with him and Ms. Madhura.  Boulos wanted to see her and she allowed him to feel her face with his hands. 
But what was said?  It was so fast and Ms. Madhura said something about doing everything quickly.  Then Mr. Daiwik was back and Amal left.  Boulos remembered wishing, willing his spirit to Amal.  If only she could have heard his thoughts.  If only they had more time. 
Boulos continued typing, “I am sorry but I don’t remember what I said to you.  I do remember being in Mr. Daiwik’s apartment and he was called to another apartment to do some work.  You were in the room with Ms. Madhura and me.  You allowed me to see your face with my hands.  My Amal, I was in heaven seeing you after so many years.  Then suddenly you were gone.  We finished our meal and Mr. Daiwik walked me to the shelter where I stayed then.  I hope this is enough.  I am sorry but I do not remember what I said to you.”
After reading the response, Amal still had the slightest twinge of doubt but who else could have known about the circumstances with which Mr. Daiwik had left the apartment.  How could this person know Ali saw her with his fingers?  Only Madhura would know.  Surely she wouldn’t stoop to something so unspeakable. 
Amal began typing, “My Ali, I believe you.  How is it possible we found each other again?  My heart swells.  But I want to remind you you said I was fat!  Never tell a lady she is fat!”  She sent the message. 
She smiled.  Even such words from her love were a beautiful melody to her ears.  Her Ali was back.  Her mind flashed to earlier thoughts of never being married again.  Now her Ali was…. No, it is too early to consider such imaginations. 
Boulos read Amal’s response.  Feeling a twinge of guilt he quickly wrote, “My Amal, I apologize for calling you fat.  I was only saying what I saw when I saw you with my hands.”  He stopped.  No, he would not say any more about that.  Of course, she was a child and full of energy when he left when she was wed.  It is only natural someone would add weight as they age.  Even though it was true, he would not mention it again.  Boulos backspaced thru the last sentence and sent the message. 
The remaining hours until sunrise Boulos and Amal told their stories to each other.  Boulos was genuinely heartbroken for Amal’s bereavement.  Amal shared Ali’s joy at regaining his sight and promised to help with reading and writing.  Their time together ended when Amal’s children woke.  It was time to return to the real world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...