Tuesday, May 2, 2017

The Blind Beggar: Part XXXVI

Forty three years later Boulos and Amal celebrated their fortieth wedding anniversary.  Many friends and family were in attendance for a time of merriment.  The couple renewed their wedding vows.  Then, with all seated around them, recounted the highlights of their lives.  Starting from their first meeting to Amal’s marriage and Boulos leaving to find his uncle, they spoke of how God had orchestrated so many events over the course of their lives. 

Finally, Adeline, who was a hopeless romantic, interrupted and asked, “How did you finally get together again?”

Boulos smiled as he looked deep into his stepdaughter’s eyes.  “You know this story, my Adeline but I will retell it for those who don’t.”
Though his health was rapidly failing, Boulos told of their online conversation one night and how Amal scolded him for calling her fat.  The audience laughed.  It was a favorite part of the story to him.  Boulos was a simple man and enjoyed the humor and humanity to that one snapshot of life.  He would never again forget it. 
The two took it slow.  It was more than a year before they met face to face but their love only grew stronger.  The next year was still mostly online correspondence, text messages and phone calls.  Finally, Boulos strongly felt the pull on his heart and believed the time was right.  He called Amal and after exchanging pleasantries said, “My Amal, I am a happy man having you as my friend.”

“I am happy you are my friend.”

“There is one way you could make me happier.”


“Really?  What is it?”


“I could only be happier if you would be my wife?”


“Are you proposing to me over the phone?”


He paused for a moment, wondering if he had done something wrong.  Then he replied, “Yes.  Is that wrong?  We do not see each other and this is better than a text message is it not?”

Laughing and shaking her head, Amal said, “Oh my Ali, my Ali.  I would be happy to be your wife.” 

The early years were not easy.  The children, by then in their teens, were rebellious.  Boulos, never having children, had difficulties coping.  He never wanted to replace their father and regularly told them that.  Slowly, Boulos followed Amal’s lead in child rearing. 

It was Said whose heart first softened to the new head of the house.  After finishing college and living on his own, he began to understand life is quite difficult.  One particularly difficult day, he saw a poor family.  He realized that had providence not intervened in the lives of his family, it was possible he could have a much different and difficult life.  Then his eyes opened to the man married to his mother.  Once blind and begging for an existence, Boulos worked hard for everything he had but was a humble man.  He thanked God for everything whether good or bad. 

After reconciling in his heart to give his stepfather the respect he deserved, Said began working on Adeline to convince his sister what a good man Boulos was.  Boulos felt complete joy once the whole family became one in heart and spirit. 

The party ended and Said drove his mother and stepfather to their apartment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...