Thursday, March 17, 2016

Enticing: Concern

Keith and Sarah happily dated for six months.  Both of them enjoyed their time together.  There was variety and spontaneity in their activities and Keith loved to gaze into Sarah’s eyes in their quiet moments.  If eyes are windows to the soul, he glimpsed a deep spring of beauty.  

Then came a time they would be apart.  Keith needed to travel across the state for his job to conduct a series of meetings.  Other than not seeing each other every few days, there was no difference. They spoke on the phone each night and texted during the day.   At least, that is what Keith thought.  He received some disturbing news when he returned. 

James called him the day after arriving home.  At first the conversation was small talk.  Then James got serious.  “There’s something I feel I gotta tell you but I don’t know how much stock to put in it.”

“Ok.”

“I mean, what I have to say isn’t firsthand information.  My little brother saw something and told me.  He isn’t sure but….”

Keith was completely unsure where the conversation was going and wondered what James was going to say.  “What?  What is it?”

“He said he saw Sarah making out with some guy in her car at the beach.”

It felt like someone punched Keith in the gut.  He felt life drain from him.  “Are you sure?”  Is he sure?”

“Like I said, he’s not positive but he saw someone who looked like Sarah in a car like she drives making out with some guy.”

“Any idea who the guy is?”

“No, no clue.  Look, I’m sorry I’m telling you this.  I debated for over a week about it now.”

“You mean it didn’t happen this past week.”

“No, no not at all.  Tim says it was about 2 weeks ago now.”

“What?  Wow!  Thanks.  Really, thanks for the call.”  After ending the call, Keith felt absentminded.  He was on autopilot, just going through the motions.  What should he do with this information?  Maybe it was nothing .  Could he continue the relationship as if nothing happened?  He knew he would be looking for clues.  Maybe nothing happened. Maybe it was nothing at all, just a big misunderstanding.   But why would James call.  He isn’t the type of person to raise concern like this needlessly.  Should he confront her?  If it was true, what then? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...