Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Enticing: Proposal

Enticing:  Proposal

As with any relationship, things were not always smiles and good times.  Keith and Sarah had difficulties.  Actually, it was more challenging than Keith imagined.  Even a year and a half later, that did not stop Keith from asking Sarah’s father for permission to marry Sarah.  

One night Keith dropped in unannounced at the house of Sarah’s parents.  Sarah was unaware of the visit.  They each had brought up the subject of marriage a few times and were both in agreement a long term relationship was something they wanted.  Still, thinking about it and taking steps in that direction are very different things.  After entering the house, Sarah’s mother stated Sarah was not expected that evening and was probably at her own apartment.  Keith replied he knew that and had a reason for visiting.

With more trepidation than he expected, Keith dove into the subject of marriage.  “Mr. Davenport…”

“Keith, you know to call me, Tom.”

“Yes, sir, I know.  Sorry!  Anyway, Sarah and me have talked about marriage a few time over the last couple months.  I’m ready to take the plunge and want to ask for your permission to marry your daughter, Sarah.”  He paused for the briefest of moments and added, “Please.”

Tom Davenport smiled and said, “Of course, you have my permission.  I am happy for both of you.  I appreciate your work ethic and believe you will provide for my little girl.”  Keith thought it odd he called Sarah his little girl but figured parents never see their children as grown.  He mentioned nothing about it.  He simply said, “Thank you.” 

It was decided Keith would return the following evening and propose after dinner.  Though he always felt he lacked romantic genes, Keith had privately written love poetry over the previous months.  He planned to read some of them to Sarah prior to popping the question.  

Though not Italian, Mrs. Davenport loved Italian food and regularly cooked various Italian dishes.  That night was her specialty:  Lasagna.  She also made a Greek salad and tiramisu.  She also set the table with china and had candles lit when Sarah arrived.  When she saw the dinner table set so elegantly, Sarah asked, “What’s going on?”

“What do you mean?”

“China?  Candles?  What’s the occasion?”

“No occasion.  I just haven’t used this stuff since Christmas and felt like getting it out.  Can’t a lady class things up for her family?” 

“I guess but you know Keith isn’t family.”

Mrs. Davenport bit her lip to keep from saying, “Not yet.”

Keith arrived a few minutes later and dinner was scrumptious.  As dishes were being cleared before dessert, Keith asked Sarah to have a seat for a moment.  She sat in her chair with a perplexed look.  Keith pulled a spiral notebook that was partially obscured behind a planter and opened.  He opened it, looked at the handwritten words on the page, paused and then looked at Sarah.  “There is something I want to read to you.”

“Okay.”

Keith’s heart was pounding.  He never actually believed this day would come.  He was about to ask someone to marry him.  Haltingly, the words came out. 

“The Beauty I Behold

To look upon your visage
tis such a blessing.
To gaze into your eyes
such beauty I’m confessing

Fair maiden, goddess, beauty of the earth
do you esteem to me a measure of worth?

Tis for you I write
the beauty I behold
Thou worth outweighs the earth’s
treasures of finest gold”

Mrs. Davenport wiped a tear from her eye.  Keith continued:

“When I’m in your enjoyable presence
I meticulously study every line,
curve, and contour of your face
so when we’re apart your countenance
is so real and vibrant
I can smell and touch you in my mind’s eye”

Sarah remembered how Keith gazed at her when they were together.  Joy flooded her soul.  Had she ever been happier?

“Your presence is heaven
sheer exuberant joy
You enter the room and
winter turns to spring
The love you give calms my fear
and nourishes my fortitude”

Keith flipped a page in the notebook but looked up and said, “I have a couple more but I don’t think they are as good so I’ll just get to the point.”  With that, Keith went down on one knee in front of Sarah.  He put his hand in his pocket and abruptly stood and stuffed the hand deeper in to the pocket.  “Sorry, I couldn’t reach it.”

Then, again on one knee, he took Sarah’s left hand and kissed it.  He then placed the ring on her finger and asked, “Sarah Davenport, would you do me the honor of being my wife?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...