Sunday, November 29, 2015

Understand Weather, Understand World Events

I recently was blessed to do an in depth, but short, study of weather.   For those whose only knowledge of weather is what you see on TV, there is more to it than meets the eye.  For me, one of the main things to remember is that weather does not happen in a vacuum.  For every action, there is a reaction close by.  Next to a high is a low.  Low pressure causes air to rise.  High pressure causes air to descend.  When air vacates an area, air from another area will eventually replace the space that was emptied. 

You may have noticed weather typically moves from east to west.  If you see a line of storms on a weather map west of where you live, you can normally expect to see the storms cross your area.  However, you cannot focus on what is west of you.  People who live in Florida know the most severe weather of concern comes from the east.  Low pressure systems begin off the west coast of Africa and gain strength as they cross the Atlantic.  Once they reach the warmth of the Caribbean, they grow in power and can become very destructive. 

My point here is that you must look at all parts of weather in order to understand what is going to happen.  Even then, there are no guarantees forecasts will be accurate.  Nevertheless, you can more accurately understand what is happening and what will happen. 
What about the world events of today?  I won’t pretend to know what is going on and why. However, like weather, we much understand much of what we see in news does not happen in a vacuum.  What we see is rooted in events from decades and even centuries old.  When you factor in friction between Muslim/Jews/Christians you can go back millennia.  Some people understand history repeats itself.  I have recently seen comparisons with the current refugee crises to similar pre World War II events. 

I believe we should view actions of world leaders based on the history of their respective countries and even their own childhoods.  Does this mean we can accurately predict future actions?  No, but like weather, we probably will be closer to actual events.  I would also venture to say simple human nature factors in when trying to determine what will happen.  As much as we want to believe humans are basically good, we’ve had too many periods throughout human history where evil reigned.  I guess by this last statement, I am expressing my pessimism in human nature.

Nevertheless, I believe in a God who transcends time and history.  When we think of events in the past, He is there.  When I ponder the future, He is there.  What happens on earth does not surprise Him.  He is alive and active in every facet of our lives, past, present and future.  This is His creation and He loves it.  In spite of our arrogance and selfishness, He is patient and wants all to return to Him

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...