Friday, November 20, 2015

Thoughts from James Chapter 1

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.

It has been a while since I last read James.  There is a lot of gold in this book.  I think back to the first time I tried to look at trials in the manner in which he recommends.  I was on my own for the first time.  The single life, with my parents to shield or help me, wasn’t as easy as I thought.  I know now that at that point in my life I was focused on the pleasure principle:  seek pleasure and avoid pain.  Still, it wasn’t until many years later that I even noticed the part about the testing of our faith produces perseverance.  God wants us to not lack in anything.  Therefore, He will let the fires of trial burn away the parts of our personality that will ultimately not yield any spiritual fruit. 

It is only now that I am older that I am beginning to understand that difficulties are an important part of our growth.  I remember reading that when butterflies emerge from the cocoon, their struggle to break free is vital to the development of their wings.  If they are assisted in any way, their wings are useless and they will quickly die. 

I now believe we are meant to struggle and push ourselves.  It is proven that we can minimize dementia and/or Alzheimer’s by doing puzzles or even doing everyday things with the other hand.  We aid in our health by exercise and eating right.  Is any of this easy?  It isn’t hard but if we seek the path of least resistance we will believe it hard.  

I know this is getting to be a sermon so let me finish with this thought:  When we start seeking the easy life we start to die.  I believe God wants us to be open to His will and where it will lead us.  Often, it will be out of our comfort zone.  By regularly going outside our comfort zone, we will continually grow as individuals.  However, of greater importance, we will exercise our faith muscles and they will be strong. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...