Friday, October 2, 2015

God's Plans, My Plans

Growing up, we have dreams of what we want to be when we become adults.  I remember I loved watching Gilligan's Island.  I wanted to be a professor because I wanted to know a lot of things.  I've always been a curious person and liked to pick out one of our encyclopedia's and flip through the pages until I found something that looked interesting.  Then I would read about it.  I still like learning.  I was disappointed when I was told that to be a professor, at least like the character on Gilligan's Island, I would have to study math.

Upon graduating from high school and going to college, I wanted to continue using my vocal and acting skills.  I started writing poetry so I could become more skilled at writing lyrics.  I studied music in college and was a voice major.... for 1 year.  Ear training kicked my butt.  Still, I became a little more adapt at music and wrote a couple short songs on the piano.  One day, I would like to take piano lessons.  For years I said I would do this when the kids move out.  Now if they would just move out.

I believe words have the power to inspire and heal.  For many years, I have wanted my words to make a difference in someone's life.  Actually, I have long wanted to make a difference in the world.  I have done may part here and there.  I donate time and money to various causes.  I want to do more.  Which brings me to my real point.

For a few years, getting a dispatcher's license was a thought that rolled around in my head.  I had various reasons not to pursue it and I didn't.  About a year ago, I told a dear friend why I decided to finally close the door on the whole idea.  I wanted to write and inspire people.  I knew that if I was on my death bed and didn't pursue that, I would regret it.  If I didn't pursue a dispatch job, I would be okay.  Apparently, God has other plans.

All the arguments I've had about why I couldn't/shouldn't do it, disappeared.  Now I am in the midst of studying for that license.  Last night I was reminded again of my desire to write.  I rarely use my artistic side.  I don't know why I'm being led down a path that seems contrary to where my heart is.  I have no regrets of not putting more effort into pursuing my dreams earlier in my life.  Still, one has to wonder about God's plans sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...