Wednesday, October 7, 2015

He`s Still Working On Me



God loves you.  You may have heard that before.  The statement may mean the world to you or you could care less.  I've been on both sides of the equation during my life.  Regardless of where I am in my walk with God, He continues to demonstrate His faithfulness to me.  

Many years ago, my youngest daughter was having her weekly Sunday night can't-go-to-sleep-because-of-school-anxiety episodes.  We sat down for a talk.  I read some verses from John.  It was the chapter where Jesus is talking to the disciples before he was betrayed.  I was trying to show her that she can trust God because He wants to best for her.  We talked about praying and how God answers prayer.  He either answers No, I love you too much, Not yet, or Yes, and here's more.  

She asked, "What if I ask God to do good on my test and He says no?"

I said that I don't pretend to know what God thinks in all circumstances.  Still, if He is our Heavenly Father, He knows what is best.  She still wasn't convinced because she felt desperate to do well on the test.  

She has an electrical outlet across the room from her bed.  I said, "What if we had a toddler that wanted to stick his finger in the outlet.  If I'm a loving father, would I let him do it?  L agreed that someone who cares wouldn't let them do it.  I went on to say that the toddler really wants to do this and doesn't understand why they can't have what they want.  Any caring grown up would understand the child's disappointment.  It's not always easy to communicate your knowledge to them so they REALLY understand the danger.  

While I may sound like a good parent, (I feel I do ok) I needed to speak to myself.  There are situations in my life where I have fears and I know that God wants to work in these areas.   I don't want to let Him even though I know it would be for the best.  Surrender can be hard.   I'm getting there step by step.  God is faithful to continue working on me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...