Friday, May 22, 2015

The Parting: Separate Ways

Lunch went better than expected for everyone involved. Bob was able to spend time with Charlotte and it was very comfortable. Charlotte felt more at ease with Samantha being there. Samantha got to meet a man she thought was handsome and charming.

Samantha was a vivacious woman who always tried to enjoy life and make the most of every situation. She enjoyed being single but was reaching an age where she was starting to consider being more serious about relationships. Maybe Bob was that man.

Charlotte felt such a huge relief when she realized she wouldn’t have to be alone with Bob. She never felt she would do anything bad but there was something about the way he asked her to lunch that hinted there was something more to it. Was he going to say he loved her? It was a possibility she had tried to ignore for several months. If he were to say that, it was open such a Pandora’s box. Then again, she knew she would tell him she loved Jack and that would be that. She didn’t want to hurt his feelings but facts were facts. She wasn’t going to stop loving Jack because he professed his love for her.

Bob decided that he had to tell Charlotte how he felt even though he was sure the feelings weren’t mutual. He was certain she liked him but she still loved Jack. Then again, maybe he wouldn’t say anything. What would he gain other than making his feelings known? Like he thought from the beginning, there really isn’t a way that this comes out good for him.

As they walked out of the restaurant, Samantha leaned into Charlotte and said, “Who is this guy you’ve been hiding? He’s cute.”

“He is a friend from church, that’s all.”

“Then why were you having lunch with him? Does Jack know about him? Jack’s mom know him?”

“Jack and his mom know him from church. I’m surprised you don’t know him. He and his family have been part of the town forever.”

“So what’s his story? Is he dating anyone besides you?”

Getting tired of the dating remarks, Charlotte gave her a dirty look but replied in a normal voice, “No, I don’t think so. I wouldn’t say we are close enough for me to know his private life. We’ve only recently starting talking and NO, we are not dating.”

“Well if you don’t want him, can I have him?”

“You don’t need my permission. Just don’t hurt him, okay?”

Feigning deep hurt, Samantha replied, “What?”

Charlotte stopped walking and turned to her friend.  “Don’t give me that. I love you, but I also I know you and I know you’ve hurt a lot of guys. He has a good heart and he doesn’t deserve that.”

“Fine, I’ll be gentle.”

Charlotte gave her a stern look. “I’m serious.”

“Yes, I will be on my best behavior. Maybe this is one I will bring home to mom and dad.”


With that, the ladies went their separate ways.

Bob paid for the meals and started back to work. Charlotte, Charlotte, Charlotte, when will you get out of my head? Then he silently prayed.

God, I met Charlotte for a reason. We’ve gotten closer for a reason. I’d like to think it is because you want the two of us to be together. Please make it clear what your will is. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...