Thursday, May 21, 2015

Answered Prayer Delayed




John 11

A friend of Jesus was very sick and his sisters contacted Jesus to come and heal him.  Instead of leaving right away, Jesus delayed 2 days.  Now, this was not some stranger but a close friend of Jesus.  The message the sisters sent was, “Lord, the one you love is sick.” Did Jesus not care?

Does this sound like your life?  You desperately pray to God for something only to hear nothing?  You know that only God can do this thing for you.  Instead of an answer you hear silence.  What is God doing?

While I won’t pretend to know all of God’s ways, John 11 states the reason Jesus delayed was so His disciples may believe in Him.  In God’s economy, faith is more important than physical life and death.  All circumstances in life are designed to draw out our faith. 

Hebrews 11:6 says “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.” 

I recently had a situation where I despaired rather than give the problem to God and trust Him.  The problem ended up being much less than I imagined it could have been and God already supplied the need.  Yes, Lord, I was stupid again.  Thank you for loving me anyway. 

Let me encourage you, and me, to continue to trust in the Lord of the universe.  The One who knows your frailties, your shortcomings and He still wants a relationship with you.  Exercise your faith in God and trust that He knows what He is doing.  Even when you don’t get the answer you want, trust that you will get something better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...