Monday, June 26, 2017

I Will Not Bend

Drained of life, stuffed with frass
All my dreams are broken glass
Bleeding hands grasp what remains
Dripping down, my clothing stains


You will not control my soul
I will move on and be made whole
Never again will I rest
Always pushing another test

Bitterness and pain I will savor
Ashes and gall are now my flavor
The branding iron I stare down
I bend it now to make my crown

I pound my flesh to make it tough
Push my limits beyond enough
There’ll be no fat upon this frame
Power and force only remain

May my bath be ice
My drink bitter
May my groans echo
My breath labor

Let the pain seared into my mind
Force me, new heights to find
Forward it moves me to the end
I grit my teeth, I will not bend


Copyright June 2017
Duane Windell Phillips





No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...