Thursday, June 8, 2017

A New Story: Must Be Newlyweds


Julie planned the weekend trip before meeting Marcus.  She wished she could cancel it but the air fare and hotel were booked and prepaid.  With such a fantastic price, she jumped at the chance to meet college friends for a weekend trip.  Now, things were different.  Though she wanted to see her friends she preferred to be with Marcus.  Julie was dejected to learn no refunds or changes were possible. 

The night before Julie’s flight, the couple went out to dinner and to the park.  The whole night Julie brooded about being away.  Marcus repeatedly assured her they would both be fine.  It was merely two days.  They could still text or call one another if there was an emergency but Marcus stated he wouldn’t interrupt Julie’s time with her friends.  It was their time.  “Besides,” Marcus added, “I don’t want to be one of them controlling boyfriends.  All your friends would hate me.  You’d be ready to give me to boot if I was.”

“I know, it’s just….”

“What?”

Julie hesitated.  “I love spending time with you.  My heart smiles every morning when you send me “Good morning” texts.  Sometimes, they are silly or sappy but they are from you.  I feel them coming out of your heart.”

“I can still send you those if you want.”

“I know.”  Julie still was dejected.

“What is it?”

“I love you.”

Laughing, Marcus replied, “I love you, Julie.”

“I don’t know how to explain it.”

“You don’t have to.  We will be ok.  Trust me.  I’m not going anywhere.  You better not either.”

Julie hugged him and they briefly kissed.  How could she describe all that filled her heart?  Her soul never felt empty before but now that Marcus occupied a space there, it had to expand to accommodate him.  He wasn’t simply a part of her life.  In many ways, he was her life.  Such thoughts were fantastical in her mind but Julie knew no other way to describe it. 

While Julie was away, Marcus had no plans other than doing laundry and calling his parents.  As Saturday progress, he felt as if the sun would never rise again.  As nightfall neared, Marcus began to realize how much he hurt when he couldn’t spend time with Julie.  He sulked the whole day. 

Sleep dodged him the whole night.  He mind was filled with visions of Julie being with other people, having fun and ignoring him.  He was crushed.  As the hours counted down until her flight arrived, Marcus was filled with dread.  What if, when he met her at the airport, she said their relationship was over?  He couldn’t bear the thought. 
Standing at the bottom of the escalator in baggage claim, Marcus felt his heart in turmoil.  All he could think was, “The look on her face when we see each other will tell me everything.”  Time slowed to a stop as he watched various reunions around him.  How would his be?

He saw Julie’s hair first.  She wore a ball cap on her head and her face was obscured by looking down while stepping on the escalator but Marcus knew it was Julie.  He glued a smile to his face.  Julie’s head lifted as she began scanning the crowd of faces.  Just as Marcus started to raise his hand, their eyes locked in recognition.  Instantly, she beamed.  Suddenly, all the darkness left Marcus’s soul.  His love returned. 

Marcus stepped closer to the escalator exit with a full heart as Julie neared.  As soon as she was clear she jumped to him.  The two hugged and held one another like long lost couples separated by oceans and decades.  Tears began to well up in Marcus’s eyes.  He held Julie tightly, pouring all of his emotion into their embrace.  While they squeezed each other, Julie whispered, “I love you.” 

“I love you so.”

A middle aged man stepped from the escalator and met his wife.  The two gave one another a mindless peck and began walking toward the car.  As they passed Marcus and Julie, they both looked and one another.  Then the husband leaned down to his wife and whispered, “Must be newlyweds.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...