Tuesday, December 20, 2016

A New Story: What'd I Just Do?

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Bob said.  “This has been building for a long time.  I just couldn’t take it anymore.  Just the thought of being that miserable for the rest of my life.  God, it is just too much to deal with.”

His older brother, Brian, listened as Bob explained the events of the previous hours of his life.  He knew Bob and Marsha had been having problems.  He just didn’t know it had come to this.  He adjusted his cell phone and asked, “So where’d you stay last night?”

“I went to the Country Inn and Suites across town.  It’s nearby work and I’m close to getting a free stay there with points.  It seemed like the win-win I needed at the time.”

“Wow!  I’m sorry little brother.  You told me before you weren’t happy but I guess I didn’t understand how unhappy.  Wow!”

“Yeah, well I got her good though.”

“What do you mean?”

“I took all the money out of our joint account.”  Then he added with a chuckle, “She’s broke.” 

“What do you mean you took all the money?  Why would you do that?”

“Simple.  Spite!”

“Good god, you stupid idiot!  That’s not how mom and dad raised us.  What’s the matter with you?”

“Don’t you get all judgmental on me.  God, I shoulda known this would happen.  You always follow the letter of the law and try to make me feel guilty for everything.”

“Come on, man!  Don’t give me that.  All I’m saying is mom and dad raised us better than that.  You know right from wrong.”

“You’re still trying to guilt me, aren’t you?  You don’t know what I’ve been through with that woman.”

“Okay, fine but you know that being spiteful hurts yourself.  You could lose more than the house.  Do you really think you will keep the money?  You are the one who left.  Have you been cheating?”

“No, but I wish I had.  Jeez, I shoulda clued you in earlier.  You’re standing there all high and mighty but have no clue of the shit I’ve dealt with.  If you had the smallest inkling, you’d have no problem whatsoever.”

“Look man, I don’t care what you’ve been through, you gotta take a higher road than this.  Think about it.  Even if it can all be justified, you will not come out of divorce court without major dents in your lifestyle.  I can see Marsha taking everything but the clothes on your back.  You gotta know that.”

Bob was silent for a moment.  Then scenarios began playing in his head.  “Dammit, Brian,  what’d I just do?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...