Tuesday, December 6, 2016

A New Story: Her Error

The work day was ending and Marsha was putting the finishing touches on a high profile project.  She saw movement in her mirror and glanced up as a knock came behind her.  It was Anita.  Anita said, “Hey, I’m done.  So glad to finally be getting outta here.  You about done?”

“Fifteen minutes or more and this project will be done.  I’ll be so happy to finally have this out of my hair.”

In a whisper, Anita asked, “You got a minute for a question.”

Marsha wanted to say decline even a minute but Anita was her friend.  “Sure, what’s up, darlin’?”

“You remember the other day when you were coming out of the bathroom and I was going in?”

Marsha lied, “Not really, why?”

“Well I noticed you were carrying your purse with you?”

Marsha was happy she planned for this eventuality.  When Anita asked why she had her purse, Marsha would say she had been spotting.  She was calm and ready for the question.  Anita continued, “Well, can you believe I happened to see Julie’s card in the garbage can in one of the stalls.”

Fear gripped Marsha.  Her throat began to dry and her mind raced.  Was Anita accusing her of having the card and throwing it into the garbage?  She was silent for some time and was certain the silence itself screamed her guilt.  Finally, she asked, “What’s your point, darlin’?”

“Well, I hate to say it but I got a good look at it.  The card envelope said, ‘Julie’ on it.”

Marsha shuddered in revulsion.  “Did you take the card out of the garbage can in the ladies room stall?  Anita that is disgusting.  How could you put your hand in there?  Ewww?”

Again in a quiet voice, Anita replied, “No, I didn’t put my hand in there.  I used some clean toilet paper on my hand and moved everything to the side.  The card said ‘Julie’ on it.  Someone must have stolen the card and later put it in the trash.”

“Did you tell anyone about it?”

“Just you right now.”

Anger began to rise in Marsha.  “Are you accusin’ me of taking Julie’s card, carryin’ it in my purse and then puttin’ it in the trash?”

Anita was stunned.  That thought never crossed her mind.  “No, no not at all.  I just mentioned your purse so you would remember the day I was talking about.”

“Then why did you wait all these days before tellin’ me?”

“I forgot.”  Anita sheepishly replied. 

Marsha eyed her friend as the anger simmered.  Slowly her nerves subsided.  That girl can be such an empty headed twit.  “And you haven’t told anyone about this?”

“No, no one.  Management doesn’t need to know everything, right?”

She was an empty headed twit but she was a loyal one.  Marsha replied, “Right!  And let’s keep that way okay?”

“Deal!”

“Go on. git outta here so I can finish this.  I’m sorry I thought you were accusing’ me of somethin’. 

“It’s okay.  I should have explained myself better.”

After Anita departed, Marsha turned her attention to the computer.  She looked at a document and began inputting information and numbers from where she thought she left off before the interruption.

After finishing, she looked over the report.  Everything looked perfect.  She started closing programs and getting her personal items from the drawer.  She clicked off the lamp next to her computer and walked to the hallway.  She was pleased to finally have the work off her plate.  It was now in her manager’s hands.  She would learn in the morning he was not pleased with her error.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...