Sunday, May 28, 2023

Munich and Romania


This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will share thoughts and tips.  


The first stop on our European trip was Munich.  I cannot offer anything on the city itself since it was merely a step to get to Romania.  I will say we stayed at the NH Munich Airport Hotel which is mere minutes away.  The hotel provides transfers for a modest fee.  Actually, it is free to the airport but 7 euros per person to return.  


Since we were too early to check in, the young man at the desk offered to hold our luggage and give us free transportation back to the airport where we could catch a train into the city or take a train to a couple towns nearby in order to sightsee.  He allowed us time to consider our options and we connected to the hotel wifi and chatted for a while.  


We decided to go into the city.  By this time, there was a new employee working the front desk.  He was emphatic there is no free transportation to the airport.  Did the young man misspeak or not know?  Not sure. However, this gentleman instead gave us a free room upgrade which meant we could get a free shuttle to the airport.  Also, an upgraded room was ready for us.  


The room had a comfortable king sized bed and pillows. The bathroom had hot water for the shower, and ample towels.  I was surprised to learn the items in the refrigerator were complimentary.  Also, there was a kettle and a variety of teas.  Finally, there was a Nespresso machine.  Yum!


Our dinner and dessert were very good but pricey.  The breakfast buffet had many options of cheeses, fruits, cold cuts, pastries, yogurts, and some hot dishes.  With a price of 20 euros per person, we opted to leave early for the airport.  I don't eat as much as I used to.


We spent $133 for our brief stay there.  I always try to find a bargain and wish it was less but we enjoyed our stay in NH Munich Airport hotel.  If you are passing through Munich and need a place to stay, you can’t go wrong here.  


We flew Air Dolomiti from Munich to Cluj Napoca, Romania.  We were visiting a friend who lives in Romania. The gate agents were late arriving.  Once there, it was obvious the flight wouldn’t leave on time but no word as to why.  A few minutes later there was an announcement they were “still working on the plane.”  


Ultimately, the flight was about 30 minutes late.  Nonetheless, the service was decent and the airplane seemed in good condition.  The cabin was clean and flight attendants were friendly.  We’ll use them again without hesitation.  


Romania was a three day stop so I can only mention a few touristic must sees.  The Turda Salt Mine is simply amazing.  How many underground mines have you visited where you can get in a paddle boat on a subterranean pond?  You can also ride a ferris wheel and play ping pong.  I found the acoustics other worldly.  We got in for 30 Romanian lei each.  That’s about $6.50 per person.  








We were taken to an amazing restaurant in Târgu Mureș called Tempo on Strada Morii.  Actually, we went there twice.  The first time I had stuffed cabbage with some beef rib meat.  Amazing.  My wife had goulash.  Also amazing.  Yes, this meal, and very little prompting from our friend, encouraged us to go again the next day.  The next day I got a bean soup served in a loaf of bread.  I liked it.  My wife got a soup but neither of us can remember what it was called.  You must get the Romanian dessert Papanași cu gem.  If you buy it here, it is enough for three people.  









If you like coffee, you can got a great cup from Mr. Pop Coffee. He has a cafe near the corner of Strada Targului and Piata Bernady Gyorgy.  He also has a cafe truck near Cetacea Târgu Mureș off Strada Nicolae lorga.  I also highly recommend going to Ohana.  My friend had me try his new favorite: cold brew tonic.  I did try it and it is ok.  I think I prefer straight cold brew.  If you go to Ohana, please tell Manu I recommended his place and I say, “Hi.”









Here are some observations about Romania.  The main roads are good.  It is an old country with a very diverse past and the tensions, (I don't mean that in a bad way) are still felt.  Most younger people speak English or enough to get by. More than anything, it seems Romania likes to surprise you.  We bought some groceries from a local Lidl grocery. We bought both kefir and milk along with fruit and muesli.  My friend has lived there long enough he knew the bottle of milk said milk on it.  Lo and behold, it was kefir.  We asked someone staying where we lodged and they agreed the label said milk.  Both she and my friend said stuff like that happens sometimes.  


Next up:  Our bus trips on FlixBus



#romania @ohanacoffeegrounds #mrpopscoffee #travel #mrpopcoffee



   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...