Sunday, January 28, 2018

Ali and Amal


Rubbing sleep from his eyes, Said looked at his mother who was typing on the computer keyboard.  Why was she still awake?  Amal sensed his movements and turned to see who was walking up behind her.  Still turning she heard her son ask, “Momma?”  Smiling, Amal said, “Good morning!  How’d you sleep?”

Complete joy filled Amal.  Her Ali had miraculously returned.  After a series of online messages, Amal learned this person who started following her blog was none other than her childhood love, Ali.  Amal knew her face must radiate the joy in her heart. 

Seeing her son standing there, Amal’s first instinct was to tell him of the miracle that carried her heart to the stratosphere.  However, she dared not say a word.  How would her son and daughter react to know their mother loved someone other than their father?  Said recognized joy in his mother’s tired but joyful eyes but why was she so happy?  Life had been filled with darkness since his father died.  Said stood still as words slowly formed in his mind.  Finally, he asked, “Have you been up all night?”

Smiling Amal said, “Yes, I have.”  She paused, knowing simple curiosity demanded to know the reason.  She continued, “I got busy with things and I got some very important feedback on my blog.  It has made me very happy.” 

Said’s foggy mind processed this information.  Then Amal said, “I’ll start breakfast shortly.  I’ll make your favourite, ok?”  Said nodded and walked to the kitchen and Amal returned to the computer. 

She typed, “My Ali, my son is awake and I must go.  I can’t begin to describe to you how my heart soars in the heavens.” 

Amal sent that message.  She wanted to say she loved him.  With every fiber of her being she wanted to scream how she loved him.  She never stopped loving Ali but it was not appropriate for her to say.  She simply added, “I have missed you so.”

“My Amal, the last hours have passed quickly.  My mind is crazy.  I cannot express everything I feel but I am very happy.  You can talk again tonight, yes?”

“Yes, my Ali.  I can talk again once my kids are in bed.  I will write as soon as I can.” 

Both Ali and Amal went through their work days content to know the ones they loved were safe and close by.  For the first time since Amal wed before her 16th birthday they could speak to one another as they pleased.  For the first time, they both lived in anticipation of the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...