Sunday, July 3, 2016

The Mustard Seed of Faith: Final


The boys spent the day dusting and cleaning the house and garage.  Forty dollars was a lot of money for Ms. Finch’s budget but she clearly felt a tug at her heart to help these boys who loved their mother so much they wanted to buy her a present with their own money.  That they felt it necessary to step out in faith and trust God to supply warmed her heart.  She wanted to reward that faith.  How much more would their Heavenly Father want to reward them?

At the end of the work day, Ms. Finch paid the boys with a smile and a thank you for a job well done.  Then she handed both a twenty dollar bill.  They each politely expressed their gratitude.  Thomas then spoke up, “I still have my mustard seed.”

“I’m glad you do.”

Walking home, Lance asked Thomas about the mustard seed.  Thomas told him the whole story of their conversation about faith and mustard seeds and the one Ms. Finch gave him.  Lance stopped and yelled at his brother, “You cheated!”

“What?”

“You asked Ms. Finch so she would give us the job and pay us.  You cheated!"

“I didn’t know she was goanna give us a job.  I just asked her about believin’ and she answered me.  The mustard seed made me feel better but I didn’t know.”

“You got that mustard seed on you?”

“Yeah.”

“Lemme see this magic mustard seed.”

Thomas stuffed his hand into his right front pocket and pulled out a plastic sandwich bag.  It was wrinkled and dirty but inside there was a single mustard seed.  He held it up for Lance to see.  “Here it is, see?”

Lance snatched it from his hand and threw it on the ground.  Then he firmly planted his heal on the bag and twisted his foot back and forth.  He growled, “This is what I think of your mustard seed.  Let’s see what it does for you now.”  He stomped off toward the house.

Thomas picked up the bag.  It was ripped and the mustard seed was smashed.  It fell from the bag.  He cried as he walked back to Ms. Finch’s house.  An immediate look of concern was cast upon her face when she saw Thomas’s tears.  She invited him inside and he told her of Lance’s anger and how he ruined the mustard seed she gave him. 

Ms. Finch asked, “Do you know how many seeds are on a mustard tree?”

“No ma’am.  Hundreds or thousands, I guess.”

“Do you know how to get another mustard seed?”

“Buy one?”

“Yes, but what’s another way?”

“Ask?"

“That’s right, you can ask.”

“Ms. Finch, may I please have another mustard seed.”

“I will give you one but I want you to know you don’t need it.  There is no magic in the mustard seed.”  She paused as a thought came to her and asked, “Do you know how you get faith?”

Perplexed, Thomas replied, “No ma’am.”

“Wait here one moment.”  Ms. Finch went to her bedroom and returned with a bible.  She judged an approximate location and opened the book.  After flipping a few more pages, she handed it to him and asked, “Will you please read the part on the upper left side that is highlighted?”

“You mean Romans 12:3?”

“That’s the one.”

“’as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.’”

He looked up puzzled.  Ms. Finch said, “Remember when you said it must not take much faith for you to believe God would supply $40.00?" 

“Yes, ma’am.  Wouldn't need much.”

“Right, and if God gives to each a measure of faith, it must be what we need to believe.  So God not only answers our prayers, He gives us the faith to believe He will answer them.  We just need to hang onto the mustard seed or even that small portion He already gave us.” 

“I’m sorry for losin’ the mustard seed you gave me.”

“Why are you apologizing to me for that?”

“You gave it to me.  I was responsible for it.” 

“Oh Thomas, you understand so much for your young age.”  Ms. Finch went to her kitchen and retrieved a small handful of mustard seeds.  “Here, keep one for you and share the rest with your family and friends.  Let them know that God gives faith to everyone and it is vital they choose to use it.  But if they let someone crush it, He has a never ending supply of mustard seeds and faith to give.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...