Friday, July 24, 2020

July 24, 2020 thoughts

It is Friday and it is also my Friday.  Since I work rotating days, it is always nice when my Friday is also Friday.  Where should I start today?

I have a bet with someone about who will become a grandparent first.  You know who you are.  It looks like I will win.  My oldest daughter is 10 weeks along.  In my heart, I feel it will be a girl.  Does that really mean anything?  Maybe.  I was right with each of my kids. 

My wife knew she was pregnant weeks before she told us.  When they finally told us one night when we had them over for dinner, we were very nonchalant.  We already knew.  Our youngest daughter had tears of joy.  J

With all the Covid crap affecting the world, the travel and tourism industries have been devastated.  My company is no exception.  They offered early retirement packages for those who are close to retirement age and early out packages for most everyone else.  My department is losing about 30% of our workers.  Everyone must be gone by August 1st. 

We are adding more flights next month but not as many as originally planned.  Since covid cases have spiked, bookings have dropped.  Still, will there be enough people to make it all work?

I guess one bright spot is that my work ours will no longer be cut by 25% starting in August.  Since May, I’ve been making 25% less.  Of course, that isn’t ideal but I’ve had a job and some income.  We must give thanks in all things and I am truly grateful to the good Lord.

I do miss traveling.  While I did drive 2 hours to hike in the woods back in May, I haven’t flown since September 15, 2019.  If that isn’t a record long drought since I started working in the transportation industry, I must be awfully close.  I looked into doing a day trip to Chicago last week.  The flights were open but Chicago has restrictions for people entering the city from out of state. 

All in all, life is good.  I am blessed.  You are too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...