Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Two Nickels

In the USA, the main currency is the dollar.  The smallest denomination is called a penny or cent.  A penny is a copper colored coin and the next highest in value is called a nickel.  It looks like the metal, nickel.  A nickel is worth five cents.  Nowadays, a nickel doesn’t buy much of anything.  Once upon a time, it did buy some things. 

Before I was born, my parents and siblings lived in Marshalltown, Iowa.  My dad worked construction.  From what I am told, times were tough when they lived there.  Even though dad was working, his pay was not enough and the family could not make ends meet. 

Many times, when they spoke about this period of life, my parents said they didn’t have enough money to buy food.  My family believes you pay your bills and other obligations first and then you live off what is left.  As I said previously, they had nothing left to buy food.  However, they had a neighbor who took pity and gave them rice.  For a long time, they ate rice every day.  Even though they grew tired of eating rice, they were grateful.

My parents use an idiom to describe this time of life.  It is one not often used.  I’ve never heard anyone but family members say it.  They say they didn’t have two nickels to rub together.  (“When we lived in Marshalltown, we didn’t have two nickels to rub together.) 

I’ve had my own personal experience of not having two nickels to rub together.  With the benefit of hindsight, we see God was in control and things worked out for the better.  Even in hard times, God is working according to His will so you will have a future and a hope. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...