Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Paradise Part 18


Three days later, RB was reminiscing with Jennifer about circumstances when he was originally hired by Blue Skies.  The conversation started when Jennifer remarked about money being tight and how she worked two jobs or a while.  Memories flooded in from his young and single days 
“The day I got the call from Blue Skies for a job interview, I literally just learned I didn’t get a job I had interviewed for the day before.”
“Really?”
“Yeah, crazy isn’t it?  I was working at a department store and returned to my work area after being told I didn’t get this job I interviewed for.  When I get to my department, someone tells me to call my roommate.  My roommate says Blue Skies called to set up an interview.  I had a friend that had worked at Britt Airlines and she says I have to dress up for the interview.  Like I wasn’t gonna do that anyway.  I work in the Men’s Department.  Of course, I know how to dress up.
“So I go to the interview, dressed to kill.  The interview goes real good and when it is all over, the guy says he wants to fly me to the headquarters for another interview.  I shake his hand and am about to walk out the door when he tells me he was never, ever gonna call me in for an interview because my handwriting was so sloppy.  I guess my appearance was such a contrast to my handwriting it impressed him enough to want to hire me.”  Jennifer laughed as RB continued, “As you know my handwriting is bad but I remember to this day that was one of the sloppiest applications I ever filled out.  Funny thing is, I see this guy years later and ask if he remembers me.  He does.  Then I ask if he remembers his comment about my handwriting.  He does.  I say that I tell that story from time to time.  He says he does too.  We both got a laugh outta that.”
Later that afternoon the phone rang.  It was Jessica.  RB answered and immediately said, “RB, I need to get over here.  A guy got through security and is downstairs.  He wants to talk to someone.”
“Ok but it will be a while.  Remember, our office was moved to another building.”
“Shit!  That’s right.  I’ll call ya back.” 
RB sat for a moment, unsure what to do.  Should he go to his car and drive over anyway?  It would be five to ten minutes depending on lights and traffic.  He started walking to the office for the manager on duty since someone needed to know where he was.  As he neared the office, Greg walked out.  At seeing RB he said, “RB, good!  Jessica just called me.  We need to get there ASAP.  Some guy got through security and wants to talk to someone.”
“Yeah, Jessica just called me about that.  I told her it would be a few minutes before I could get there.  Then she said she’d call me back and hung up.”
“Ok.  I told her we’d be right over.  I’ll drive.”
The man who wanted to speak with someone had time to realize what he did.  He sat sheepishly in the waiting area below the CEO’s office.  When Greg and RB introduced themselves, he gave his name and said, “I probably should have thought about what I did, shouldn’t I. 
After discussing how he got through security and determining he had no violent intentions, they got down to the business of his problem.  As he explained the issue, RB marveled.  It was another example of a customer being frustrated by the inability or lack of desire on the part of employees to help someone with a simple issue.  Too many times had RB handled a deal where the customer had a problem but was quoted the rules by various employees.  Had they listened to the customer, they would have understood an exception was needed. 
Greg and RB helped the man get back through security with the understanding RB would handle the issue upon returning to his office and would follow up with a phone call so he knew it was completed.  Once the man left company grounds, they went up to the CEO’s office to discuss the situation.  Jessica was pleased it was handled quickly.  They then discussed how to best handle another security breach in the future. 
The message light was illuminated on RB’s phone upon returning to his office.  That was standard.  RB felt his heart race listening to the voicemail that said, “Robert Baxter, this is Bill Dawson.  Please call me back about the job you interviewed for.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...