Sunday, February 21, 2016

A Heart of Red

In fields of war
There is no star
Above the dead
Whose hearts have bled

Here I lie
About to die
I want to live
I’ve more to give

What will you do?
With news you get
I dream of you
I’m in your debt

Image in hand
Memories scanned
My life bleeds on
And soon I’m gone

I see a light
Piercing the night
A heart of red
That warms the dead

Onward I’m drawn
Toward the dawn
I leave this life
And all the strife

My one desire
To feel your skin
But I hear the choir
Their draw from within

My moments wane
My dear sweet Jane
I love you so
But now I go

© 2016 Duane Windell Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Leaders

Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right.  ~  Abraham Linc...